When there is a winter chill in the air, nothing is more comforting than a warm bowl of soup! This recipe for Spinach Soup or “Pinaattikietto” is a Finnish favorite this time of year. This hearty meal is rich and creamy so it feels indulgent, but this soup is packed with veggies and protein. Plus, it comes together in less than 30 minutes, so it’s also quick and easy!
Take a look at our latest instructional video!
Spinach Soup – "Pinaattikietto"
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach (unthawed)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 hard-boiled eggs
- Remove spinach from the freezer and allow to sit at room temperature as you begin preparing the soup.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk to combine. Bring to a boil and cook for about 2 minutes until the flour and butter combination become a light golden color.
- Add the milk, 1/2 cup at a time, whisking continuously. Bring the soup to a boil, stirring continuously, as to not allow the bottom to scorch.
- Add the slightly thawed spinach. Bread up the frozen pieces and stir to combine. Add white pepper, salt and sugar. Return to a boil. Serve spinach soup with half of a hard-boiled egg floating on top.